How to become a super photographer
Four resources to develop your superpower
So you want to become a photographer but don’t know where to start? Have no fear! Our Task Force heroes have assembled some of the best resources available to develop your skills at a reasonable cost.
is an online learning company that helps anyone learn business, software, technology and creative skills to achieve personal and professional goals. There are a few courses that stand out:
Author: Ben Long
The following three courses offer a good, solid understanding of the basics of photography and digital SLR cameras. On a side note, Ben Long is a great instructor who kept does an even better job at keeping your attention.
- Course name: Foundations of Photography: Exposure
- Course name: Foundations of Photography: Lenses
- Course name: Foundations of Photography: Black and White
Author: Derrick Story
This course is very similar to “The foundations of photography: exposure” the difference is, it’s more focused on the actual camera than on the theory of photography.
Author: Chris Orwig
If you’re looking for a mystical approach, Chris Orwig is your guy. He talks about photography more as art form and sometimes even spiritual journey.
- Three packages that start at $25 per month
is the second step to learning photography. Scott Kelby is a creative individual, a great instructor, and has a nice, subtle sense of humor. He is responsible for PhotoshopTV and most importantly Kelby Training. Many of the courses focus on taking your photography to the next level. To truly take advantage of these lessons you should already have a good understanding of the basics. (For example, they offer courses on studio photography, using a flash indoors and outdoors, macro photography and post production.) Our three favorite picks are:
Author: Scott Kelby
Author: Bill Fortney
- Try it for free for one day.
is a free online service that provides photography related videos in different categories.
- Digital Photography 1 on 1 – Videos that answer common questions from photographers, such as how to use neutral density filters, off-camera flashes and the different autofocus modes on your camera.
- You Keep Shooting with Bryan Peterson – Brian provides quick and simple tips to take your photography to the next level.
- reDefine with Tamara Lackey – Interviews with pros provides some great insight into their creative process.
is a great service that allows you to join groups that cater to your specific interests such as cooking, sports and in this case photography. Our lead photographer has membership in about 10 different photography groups. This might sound like a lot but many of them only have one or two events per month. Being a member of 10 groups roughly allows him to attend 10 to 30 different events per month. This gives him great options for practicing his craft with others. Recommended interests:
- Digital Photography
- Portrait Photography
- Landscape Photography
- Studio Photography
- Photography Workshops
- Group Photo Shoots
- Model Photography
- Photography Classes
- $0 on up, depending on your group
Becoming a superhero does take time. With the help of our resources, you will be one step closer to earning your stripes. Good Luck!